Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New York State of Mind

fffweek

fffweek by Vanessa Leigh on Polyvore


It's Finally hear dolls! Sonsi Full Figured Fashion Week! I am packing a bag and heading east for FFFWeek! Here's an idea of my clothing inspiration for the extra long fashion forward weekend. Comfort rules while attaining to remain chic while beating the heat! What do you think of my traveling wardrobe?


This month the positive body image advocate behind Vogue Curvy and editor of Vogue Italia, Franca Sozzani has put three plus sized models on the cover of the June issue of Vogue Italia. Models Candice Huffine, Robyn Lawley and Tara Lynn are showing off their curves in a gorgeous black and white lingerie shoot by Steven Meisel. Sozzani also currently has a campaign on the site against pro anorexia websites. I am grateful to such a healthy celebration of the female form in the world's dominant fashion magazine. Vogue Italia has had issues completely dedicated to Black models in 2008 and more recently provacative issues with controversial editorial shoots around the themes of rehab and the chase for youth through plastic surgery. Vogue Italia is easily the vanguard and representing fashion in a way that respects it as an art form. As we know art should be available to everyone. Let's hope couture and rtw by our favorite high end designers will be closely following Vogue Italia's lead when it comes to size acceptance. If Lanvin can tackle children's clothing they should certainly be able to consider full figured women as a potential market, as we are ready and willing.








I will arrive for a blogger's luncheon on the 18th and the Fashion Week Finale Fashion Show, and then look forward to three days of quality time with one of my favorite cities! Of course a trip to NYC would not be complete without a trip to the Metropolitan Museum for the Alexander McQueen Exhibit.




I'll also be spying for my major fashion crush Daphne Guinness and checking out the famous Re/Dress NYC in the flesh. I suspect a mini spree wll be in tow this trip.


Social Media is an amazing thing. Two months ago I did not know that there was such a thing as Full Figured Fashion Week.  How awesome is this small social media world of ours that I'm looking forward to meeting in the flesh people who have already inspired me to change my life and pursue my dreams by their mere existence. It is a beautiful thing! If you are in NYC and would like to touch base send me a line! To a fabulous month darlings!

11 comments:

  1. Have a blast! And if you could just put some size 20 somethings in your suitcase from Re/Dress for me..it would be much appreciated!

    xoxo
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really love all of the pics you posted. have fun!


    <3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this post!

    Tammy
    http://afendibagandabadattitude.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun! And that Vogue Italia spread looks awesome!

    stylebymj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Laura will try doll! if we rock the same the 2? size we can share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy Steffy and Marissa Thanks a million!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely, Vogue Italia has surprised me! Last moth, they spoke (shortly, but spoke) about black beauties (I also spoke about that on my blog) and now about plus sizes model!!! I loooooved! Have so much fun!!!

    Kisses,
    Cris.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice- I didn't know about this either. Thanks for sharing! xo

    http://dressmeup-dressmedown.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rachel and Cris. Yes Franca Sozzani is my favorite fashion figure now. I like that she is departing from the expected and creating dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos, I love that Vogue Italia is branching out, first black models and now plus-size. I wish they'd caught on a little earlier though...

    Love Free x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did a post starring pictures from the exact same Alexander McQueen show! What a coincidence :)

    Much love,
    Laura
    http://wrinkleintimevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

be true, and please be kind. <3